Permit of Residence for Freelancers and Artists

Compared to individual entrepreneurs and active members of partnerships, simpler application requirements apply to freelancers. In accordance with German laws, the term freelancer includes Artists, language teachers, doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, accountants, tax consultants, journalists, translators and interpreters and many comparable professions.

However, most freelancers will receive a permanent permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis) for residence at the earliest after five years.

The assessment of the conditions is carried out by the immigration authorities. These sometimes involves specialized bodies in its assessment, such as the Chamber of Commerce or the Senate Department for Economics, Industry and Commerce.

Artists in Berlin

Berlin is a magnet for artists. vpmk lawyers have helped countless famous as well as unknown artists from around the world acquire permits of residence as freelance artists.

Ask us!

If you require legal assistance, we will advise you. We will assist you in preparing the application for a residence permit as a freelancer in accordance with § 21 Section 5 of the Residence Code and will accompany you – if desired – to your appointment with the responsible authorities. Of course we will also support you in (additionally) bringing your family to Germany.

Please do not hesitate to contact us per email for further information or with a specific project.

vpmk Rechtsanwälte Legal Services PartmbB

Monbijouplatz 3a
10178 Berlin-Mitte

Telefon +49 (0)30 536 33 99 0
Telefax +49 (0)30 536 33 99 8


Blumenstraße 32
70182 Stuttgart

Telefon +49 (0)711 252 69 370
Telefax +49 (0)711 252 69 379

mail [at]

Wie Sie uns finden